What happens when you lose or damage just one tooth? Is there an option for replacing just that tooth?
Of course, there is. You’re not about to have all your teeth ripped out in exchange for a set of dentures.
There’s actually an option specifically for this situation and it’s called a flipper tooth.
What Is A Flipper Tooth?
If you’ve lost a tooth to disease or injury, one option you have is to get a flipper tooth, which is a removable temporary tooth replacement.
After extraction of your natural tooth the site will be sensitive and will need time to heal, so your dentist may recommend a flipper tooth until you get your permanent replacement ( usually a dental implant)
The Materials And Procedure Of A Flipper Tooth
Usually, a flipper is made of from a pink gum-colored acrylic with a replacement acrylic tooth and can be created before your visit to the dentist.It may have clasps that attach to the natural teeth surrounding the empty space where your tooth used to be. For this reason, this denture is easy for you to take out and put back in. This is great for when you need to clean the denture.
The Benefits Of A Flipper Tooth
There are plenty of benefits to getting a flipper tooth, many of which your dentist will discuss with you beforehand. Here are a few:
- Natural look: It will fill in the spaces where your natural teeth were with realistic-looks dentures. This way, you won’t have big gaps in your smile.
- Ready when you are: If your dentist has to remove some of your teeth because of damage or disease, they can order a flipper tooth before that so you don’t have to go without teeth for a day or more.
- Easy to eat: If you’re missing teeth, that obviously will negatively affect your eating. With a flipper tooth, you can more easily chew your food.
- Keeps things in place: Using a temporary flipper tooth will help stabilize your teeth, keeping them from shifting while you wait for your permanent replacement.
- Convenient: A flipper tooth is super easy to wear and conveniently can be removed and replaced.
- Comfortable: Although some people find flipper teeth to be uncomfortable, most people say how comfortable they are. Compared to other temporary replacements, flippers are definitely the comfiest kind.
- Affordable: The nice thing about dental flippers is that they’re cheaper than many other denture alternatives.
- Easy to manufacture: Because it’s easy for your dentist or a lab to manufacture a flipper tooth, you can get them quickly, usually the day of or the next day.